Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Boys & Girls Club of Queens

Today I got to take a tour of the Boys & Girls Club of Queens. I am so grateful to Executive Director Terry Hughes for taking time to show me around on what appeared to be a busy day. We spoke in the lobby in the midst of a constant flow of kids checking in, all greeting Terry as they passed. Terry explained that after school gets out, dozens of students will slowly flood into the club. They have programs running until 7PM which means the kids will have a lot to do. Most of the children who come to this location are regulars, and I soon got to see that this is quite a tight-knit family.

Athletic Director Carol O'Connell took me through the recently renovated gym, and then into a room where I saw a table of dance shoes that got me giddy. Carol explained that this location has an extensive Performing Arts program. I love the sound of that! She told me about their upcoming talent show which I look forward to attending.

Terry took me through the rest of the facility where I met each of the staff members. I learned about what kinds of programing goes on in each space, quickly becoming aware that this staff made excellent use of their resources in order to maximize the quality of activities available. I am excited to be partnering with this location for the next year, and hopefully beyond, to lend my hand in enriching this wonderful organization!

Speaking of which, the best part of the day was meeting the kids! They all came together in the game room so I could introduce myself and learn some of their names and faces. This place truly felt like a big family, with respect being extended between the kids and the staff in both directions. I gave hugs, listened to stories, and was met with a gasp as I explained that I lived nearby in Astoria and not in a castle as they had expected.

A huge thanks to Terry Hughes and the staff of the Boys & Girls Club of Queens for welcoming me in for the afternoon. I am thrilled to be involved with such a wonderful program!!



No comments:

Post a Comment