Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bronx Arts School

Is there anything cuter than a Kindergarten graduation ceremony? Anything at all? Today I had the honor of being a special guest at the Bronx Art School Kindergarten Moving-Up Ceremony. Held at Barreto Point Park, I joined proud parents and family members as they watched their little ones receive awards and sing to celebrate their learning. I got to join them for a special rendition of "Season's of Love" from RENT (an early morning to be sliding up to high C) then sat and dedicated "Go The Distance" from Disney's Hercules, singing in honor of their upcoming adventures as first graders.


Afterwards I got to meet each student individually and talk with families. I met one little girl who not only looked a lot like me when I was little, but told me she wanted to be a super model. Her mom talked about how expressive she is because of what she experiences in the classroom every day. With weekly required classes in music, drama, art, and even american sign language, the Bronx Art School utilizes artistic expression to help students develop. As a child who started doing theater and art at the age of five, I can testify to their benefits. This program is such an asset to the Bronx community and the New York City area.


After the ceremony I went back over to the school where I was met by a classroom full of 5th and 6th graders. About to move on to new schools next year, I sat down for my first classroom discussion on bullying. A huge thank you to the students for their willingness to open up and talk about some tough issues.

My thanks also go to Kevin Pease and the Bronx Art School administrative team for letting me join you for this special day, and congratulations to Ms. Jeanneret, Ms. Peters, Ms. Johnson, and Mrs. Martinez for their wonderful work in preparing these kindergartener's to move forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment