Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Boys & Girls Club Talent Show


I have been so stoked for this event! Every since my first meeting with the Variety Boys & Girls Club of Queens I have been in love with this organization. I made a promise to them that I would be at their talent show this week, and I am tickled that I got to come with a big surprise announcement!

When I say that I was blown away by this talent show, I am by no means exaggerating. Not only were some of these kids wildly talented, but every one of them was so incredibly respectful towards each other. The common factor in each of the 20 plus performances was the glowing joy made quite obvious by their smiles. Terry, the Executive Director, was telling me that the students who come to this club come from dozens of different background and lifestyles. That they can function all together so effectively is powerful to me. As a child, it is so easy to meet someone different and choose to isolate that difference rather than learn about it and accept it. So, judging from the abundance of energy in both the students and their adoring audience, this club is definitely a model for community building.

I met a beautiful young girl named Lauren. Her mother told me that Lauren wants to be a hair and makeup model. With a face like hers, I was not surprised. I spent some time with Lauren after the show, and look forward to seeing her next time I visit! She is one of the many fabulous volunteers working at the club.


I am so thrilled to be a friend and partner with this organization. Events like this are why I adore the Boys & Girls Club; they facilitate a community of support and love that is playing a vital role in shaping these students' futures. No one is in competition, no one has any reason not to stand up for and respect those around them. In fact, they seemed to find even more joy in the chance to cheer for one another as they watched their peers showcase their unique skills, talents, and individuality. Literally, a kid did a rapping Donald Duck impression...I think that is a pretty good example of supporting each others uniqueness! This is all helping to make better futures not just for these young individuals, but for the communities in which they live.


Thank you to Executive Director Terry Hughes for inviting me into this family, to all the volunteers who made this event possible, to my mother for the beautiful dress, and to Blaire Trunzo for organizing this awesome evening! He has a quite obvious skill for bringing out the best in others!

No comments:

Post a Comment