Friday, May 20, 2011

Central Park Challenge

I am excited to announce that on June 4th I will be taking part in the Central Park Challenge 3K walk!

The Central Park Challenge will raise funds for YAI Network, an organization that provides programs and services for people living with disabilities throughout the Southern New York area.

This mission is dear to me. My sister grew up with severe Dyslexia. My brother grew up with epilepsy, which later developed into Landau-Kleffner Syndrome. They live successful lives today thanks to a number of programs like those offered by YAI. I have seen how with just a few of the right tools, both their lives have grown.

My team, Kaitlin's Bully Busters, is participating in honor of all people who have been bullied for their disabilities. Growing up, I watched my siblings be ridiculed for their differences. So much so, that I saw their spirits completely broken at times. My sister dropped her second major in the last semester of college because one teacher had ridiculed her so much, that she could not bare to take her final course with him. It took her years to overcome his words. But, I know that a disability is only a scratch on the surface of a much bigger person inside. No one has the right to make someone feel inferior because of a disability. Some people have to do things differently in this world, but different does not mean bad. I am proud to support an organization like YAI, whose services help our neighbors with disabilities feel confident in the world around them.

You can help me reach my goal by June 4th!

Make a donation to my team and help us reach our fundraising goal! I am excited to see how much we can get in just over two weeks! I hope you can take a minute and visit my Central Park Challenge Page to learn more about my connection to this mission and perhaps make a donation!

If you would like to join our team and walk with us, you are more than welcome!




No comments:

Post a Comment