Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Return to Clarkson University

Today was a journey back to where it all began. Where my 16 year old self waved goodbye to my parents and hello to adulthood. I returned to my freshman stomping grounds at Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY.

Clarkson was the springboard for the life I have lead. The Clarkson School, a program that accepts students early out of high school and is neither a prep school nor starter program, accepted me during my sophomore year of high school. I submitted my grades, took the SAT's and did my interview. When they said yes I dropped out of high school and became a full fledged freshman. I didn't even have my night license.


I wanted something more. I was ready to be independent, to grow...so why not move on to college? Granted, this was no easy task. Clarkson in one of the top engineering schools in the country and thus no academic walk in the park. My work ethic exploded that year, not only because of classes but also because of the job I landed as assistant to the Head of Media Relations. Every day was a challenge, but I absolutely loved the push I was getting.


As my little brother, who is a Junior at Clarkson (he also went early out of his third year of high school,) drove me onto the campus I instantly wished I had come here before Miss America. A smile crept onto my face and didn't leave the entire time. I discovered the world here...Clarkson University is my Disneyland. I will think of it every time I sing my talent song. Clarkson's motto is Defy Convention. I strive to live by that every day.

So great to see my friends in the Media Dept, and a huge thank you to President Tony Collins for welcoming me back! Oh, and I might call you about the MBA thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment