Tuesday, January 31, 2012

National Anthem at Cheerleading Competition

Tonight I sang the National Anthem at the Frontier League Cheerleading Competition held at Indian River Middle School in Pittsburg, NY. Teams from schools across Northern New York showed their best work, including my new friends from Lyme and LaFargeville.


I was a cheerleader. For an hour. It's an odd story: I got asked to join the team by a friend in my college dance class. He said that my small frame would make me a good flyer. Oblivious to what that meant, I joined the team for a practice. We started with the dance portion and I started to think that maybe I could do this after all. Plus, we were the Spartans and our colors were red and gold (any Saturday Night Life fans out there?) We got to the cheer portion of practice and I was told to put my foot into someones hand. They shot me into the air and the following moments were a flurry of screams and panic. Once back on the ground I thanked them and promptly exited the gym. Two lessons learned: I have a violent fear of falling, and I am not cut out to be a cheerleader.

Tonight I got to enjoy the cheers from the safety of the viewing stands. Lyme even let me join in for some pre-show pumping up!


Tonight was particularly exciting since Lauren Wagenaar, one of our Miss Thousand Islands 2012 contestants, and Morgan Bocciolot, Miss Thousand Islands 2011, were both coaches! Their teams rocked, and congratulations to all the teams for incredible work!! Thanks for letting me take part!

No comments:

Post a Comment